Some people drink caffeinated drinks carefully, just half a cup after breakfast, and that’s enough; otherwise, it’s harmful. Others drink 4-6 cups at work – it’s delicious, refreshing, and does not cause discomfort. Where is the truth? How much coffee may be consumed daily without causing harm to one’s health? Researchers from Canada conducted experiments and reported the results.
We specify the volumes of coffee cups.
Before discussing how many cups or a coffee drink per day for a relatively healthy adult, you need to decide on the counting standards. For some, a cup is about 100 ml of liquid. For others – a 350–gram mug. Someone pours half a spoonful of powder.
To calculate the average value from which one could start, scientists took the Coffee Unit, KE: 100 mg of caffeine, as a unit of measurement. This dose contains:
- In 50-60 ml of espresso – a double portion of the drink;
- 200 ml of boiled coffee beans.
For most people, 400 mg of caffeine per day is conditionally safe, that is:
- 8 cups of espresso or four double;
- 800 ml brewed in Turkish coffee.
A single safe dose at one time is 2 KE, 200 mg of caffeine:
- 4 cups or two double espressos;
- 400 ml of Turkish coffee (many people drink it that way, in large cups).
Between these doses, it is desirable to withstand about 6 hours, during which time caffeine will flow from the body. If you drink smaller amounts, 1 KE at a time, you can brew a new cup in 3-4 hours.
Caffeinated, decaffeinated, instant coffee
Approximately how many spoons of coffee do we put on a cup? Everyone has their habits and tastes, and it’s hard to say. On average, that 100 mg of caffeine, that is, 1 KE, is:
- Three teaspoons with a slide – for ground coffee;
- Two teaspoons of instant coffee.
If you put more or less, calculate the amount of caffeine based on these values.
How many cups of instant coffee can I drink per day?
Although the caffeine content in it is less, and 1 KE is about 500 ml of the drink, you can drink up to 2 liters a day is a calculation for caffeine.
But in addition to caffeine, the dry substance contains stabilizers, emulsifiers, and dyes. Sometimes a filler is added, for example, from corn flour. All this is by acids and chemical solvents out of the drink, even in the most expensive natural coffee powder – no more than 25%, and more often – about 15%.
Scientists do not advise constantly using soluble powders and granules in coffee drinks, but a cup of 200 ml once will not cause much damage to health.
How many cups of decaffeinated coffee can you drink a day without harm
200 ml of the drink contains about 5 mg of caffeine is minimal, and in terms of caffeine, the glass is almost harmless, even if you drink it in liters.
But the same principle works here as with instant coffee. In addition to caffeine, there are other components in the drink’s composition, only in soluble chemical additives and solvents and in natural decaffeinated acids, sugars, and fats. They negatively affect the gastrointestinal tract and the cardiovascular system in large volumes.
That is, limiting the decaffeinated drink to up to 4 cups of 200 ml per day is desirable.
Drinks and cocktails
Not all coffee drinkers drink a pure black drink. Many people add milk, cream, foam, syrups, etc. How to calculate safe amounts of coffee with additives per day?
The principle is about the same. Milk somewhat slows down the absorption of active substances, which has a gentle effect on the heart and blood vessels, but in general, it does not change the picture too much. Espresso is the base for many famous cocktails. That is, you can make calculations based on it.
- Latte cocktail in about 200 ml, sometimes 400 or 450 ml. One serving of 200 ml of the double espresso is used, which means 1 KE. In double, 400 ml, usually two such servings, a large latte should be drunk no more than two glasses per day, standard – 4. Adding a large amount of milk can slightly increase the dose if you usually drink a lot of coffee and do not experience negative consequences: 3 cups of large or 5-6 glasses of standard latte.
- Cappuccino – the intermediate portion is 150 – 180 ml, a piece of double espresso, to which milk and foam. 4-5 standard or 2-3 large glasses daily with a break of 3-4 hours between them will not harm your health.
A few crucial recommendations from doctors:
If you would like to reduce the harmful effects of caffeine on the body, listen to the following tips:
- Choose Arabica, not robusta. It has less caffeine, although the specific variety and place of growth and the method of processing and brewing the grains are essential.
- You can add one cup if you drink coffee about half an hour or an hour after eating. If on an empty stomach, remove at least one.
- Try not to drink a new cup if you drank the previous one less than 3 hours ago.
- In stressful situations, with a lack of sleep or weakness, reduce the number of allowable cups by one. The body is weakened and perceives stimulants more acutely.
- Smokers should also lessen the safe dose of coffee daily by one cup since nicotine narrows blood vessels, and the heart beats faster anyway. It gets a double load.
Conclusions: how many cups of coffee can I drink per day
- Scientists have calculated a safe dose for a healthy adult: 400 mg of caffeine per day—approximately eight standard espressos or four servings of 200 ml Turkish coffee.
- The instant drink contains less caffeine and chemicals, so no more than one glass daily. Decaffeinated also should not drink more than 4-5 cups, as many natural acids are also not valid for the heart and blood vessels.
- Cappuccino and latte can be drunk up to 5-6 cups daily if understood by a cup of 150-200 ml drink.